How to clean a buckwheat pillow

Use a pillowcase to protect your buckwheat pillow from getting dirty.

Prevention is a good first step, but there may come a time when your pillow needs to be cleaned. Buckwheat pillows can last for a long time, and during those years (dare we say decades?) your pillow may get dirty. Accidents, illnesses and general wear happen.

Whole buckwheat pillows cannot be put into the washing machine.

Soaking buckwheat hulls with water will ruin them, so buckwheat pillows should not be put directly into the washing machine. However, our cotton pillow cover can be washed and buckwheat hulls can be set in the sun to dry.

1. Gather your materials. Namely, your buckwheat pillow, a clean pillowcase to hold the buckwheat hulls in and a tie to keep the buckwheat from spilling out of the pillowcase.
  2. Lay the buckwheat pillow on a flat surface with the zippered end inside the open end of the pillowcase. Make sure the pillowcase is totally tucked under the buckwheat pillow.
  3. Carefully unzip the zipper on the end of the buckwheat pillow.
  4. Pull the pillowcase all the way around the buckwheat pillow. Buckwheat hulls will fall out of the pillow and start to fill up the bottom of the pillowcase. Completely empty the pillow cover into the pillowcase. Turning the pillow cover inside out will help to get all the buckwheat hulls out of the pillow corners.
  5. Tie up the pillowcase to keep the buckwheat hulls from escaping while you wash the pillow cover. The pillow cover on all ComfyComfy buckwheat pillows is machine washable. However, because it is made from cotton it will shrink when washed. To minimize shrinking, wash the pillow cover with cold water and hang it up to dry.
  6. Once the pillow cover is clean and completely dry the same process can be used to get the buckwheat hulls back in the pillow.

What about cleaning the buckwheat hulls inside your pillow?

If the buckwheat hulls are completely soaked - say, for example, you spilled your morning coffee all over your pillow - the hulls should be replaced with new ones. Saturating the hulls with any kind of liquid may cause them to loose their supportive, three-dimensional shape. Furthermore, cleaning coffee, or any other liquid from them is impossible and may lead to mold growth.

However, if the buckwheat hulls in your pillow are just damp, due to a spot of spilt water or a humid environment, they can be thoroughly dried out and rejuvenated in the sun.

1. Find a clean container. If you are rejuvenating all the buckwheat hulls from your pillow make sure all of the hulls will fit in the container before dumping them out.
  2. Carefully pour buckwheat hulls into container.
  3. Place in bright, sunny window for a few hours and 'fluff' periodically (this part is a lot of fun!). If you have pets or children, make sure to choose a safe place where your buckwheat hulls won't be knocked over or played with.
  4. A clean cookie sheet with sides is a good container in which to spread buckwheat hulls. I only have one cookie sheet, so getting all the buckwheat hulls from a pillow some time in the sun is a time consuming activity. I use a clean mug to scoop buckwheat from pillow to container. On the cookie sheet the buckwheat hulls heat up quickly in the sun.

It's a good idea for all buckwheat pillow users to place their pillow in the sun for a few hours once or twice a year - either in a warm window or outside in a safe place. The warmth of the sun will leave your pillow fresh for a good nights sleep (just be wary of rain storms!).

Happy sleeping!

Need replacement buckwheat hulls? Purchase them here.

Have questions about buckwheat pillows? Email claire@comfycomfy.com

Older Post / Newer Post

Comments

Carl Pizzo

Carl Pizzo said:

How much are the buckwheat hulls?

Claire

Claire said:

Hi Carl – we sell buckwheat hulls in two pound bags for $13. You can see them here: https://comfycomfy.com/collections/buckwheat-pillows/products/buckwheat-hulls

Bob

Bob said:

Hmmm… is it the sunlight or the heat that treats the hulls? Could the same be done by placing the hulls in an oven?

Claire

Claire said:

Hi Bob, I think it would be hard to put the hulls in the oven without toasting them. We’ve tried microwaving hulls and they start smelling like a smoking campfire pretty quickly. If buckwheat hulls in a pillow are really dirty, it’s best to purchase new buckwheat hulls. – Claire & the ComfyComfy team

nick

nick said:

I have a chemical sensitivity to anything that suggests petrochemical construction. Am I safe with this pillow as far as off gassing offensive smells? Thank you, Nick

Claire

Claire said:

Hi Nick, Our pillows are made without fumigants or chemicals. ~Claire & the ComfyComfy team

Diane

Diane said:

I bought a pillow 15 years ago due to night sweats. It works like no other pillow. Keeps head cool, no doubt. However, it is like sleeping on a brick. I don’t know if the new (are they different) pillows are softer, but I use this as a last resort. But it really, really keeps one cool. I just wish it was softer.

Kaz

Kaz said:

Can the whole pillow be run through a drier? I have had a very bad cold recently and I would like to disinfect it if possible without disassembling the entire thing. Thanks!

ComfyComfy

ComfyComfy said:

Hi Kaz, I would not advise putting your pillow in the drier. The high heat of the drier could damage the pillow by singeing the hulls, leaving you would a pillow that smells like a campfire. Please let us know if you have any other questions. Claire & the ComfyComfy team

Emily Patterson

Emily Patterson said:

My cat peed on my buckwheat pillow. Any way to clean the hulls?

Marcia

Marcia said:

Heavy sweating while sleeping is a problem. Will that affect the buckwheat? How often may I wash the pillowcase. Is that as often as you do regular bed cloths laundry> This sounds fascinating for a good nights sleep especially if I can try it first with money back guarantee. Thanks. Is Hulu company name or pillow name?

Claire

Claire said:

Hi Emily – It would be best to purchase new buckwheat hulls. Once they have been saturated with any liquid they cannot be cleaned. Claire & the ComfyComfy team

Claire

Claire said:

Hi Marcia – You should wash your pillowcase just as you would any other bed linens. If it becomes soiled faster than other linens you can wash it more frequently. ~Claire & the ComfyComfy team

William Krumm

William Krumm said:

I’ve owned the same buckwheat pillow for 20 years now. I’m worried about dust mites in the pillow after all these years. Should l be concerned about this. Should I buy new buckwheat hulls and make a new pillow. I love the one I have.

jean

jean said:

please answer last question from William Krumn, as I have a similar one.

Ron

Ron said:

Where can I buy new hulls and how much?How many do I need for 1 pillow?

Claire @ ComfyComfy

Claire @ ComfyComfy said:

Thank you for all the questions – If you are worried about dust mites or other detritus that has built up in your pillow over time, it’s a good idea to replace the buckwheat hulls in your pillow. They can be composted or used in the garden as mulch! We sell buckwheat hulls in 2 lbs increments here: https://comfycomfy.com/products/buckwheat-hulls?ref=yotpo_93. The amount you need depends on the size of your pillow, and how full you would like it. Please don’t hesitate to send a message to claire@comfycomfy.com if you have more questions.